Preventive dental care is important throughout your life, no matter your age. By practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with your dentist, you can help keep your smile bright and healthy for many years to come. Here are a few simple ways that you can help prevent dental problems before they start:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces. Also be sure to brush the top surface of your tongue to help keep your breath fresh!
- Clean between your teeth by flossing and using mouthwash at least once a day. Decay-causing bacteria can linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can't reach. Floss and mouthwash will help remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet, and try to avoid extra-sugary treats. Nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, cheese, or fruit can help keep your smile healthy.
- High frequency of sugar intake is more damaging than the amount consumed. For example - sipping on sweet tea throughout a day is much worse for your teeth than having the same amount in one sitting.
- Remember to schedule regular checkups with your dentist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- Ask your dentist if preventative dental sealants are appropriate for you!
If it's been six months since your last dental checkup, then it's time to contact our practice and schedule your next appointment!